Advisor Website Home | Contact Us | Site Map | Help | Career Opportunities

Foreign tax information

Foreign income worksheet 

Foreign qualified dividend income worksheet 

The American Funds listed in the foreign income worksheet and foreign qualified dividend income worksheet distributed foreign taxes on earnings from investments outside the United States. The foreign taxes distributed by these funds are reported on your Form 1099-DIV, and you may claim a foreign tax credit for your share of the foreign taxes distributed.

Note: If you can claim a foreign tax credit directly on Form 1040, you do not need to complete the worksheets listed above.


Foreign tax credit vs. deduction

You may claim a foreign tax credit or take an itemized deduction for your share of the foreign taxes distributed by a qualifying fund. However, you will usually receive more benefit by claiming a tax credit.

For more information about the IRS requirements to claim a foreign tax credit, refer to IRS Publication 514, Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals (to order, call 800/829-3676 or download from

Claiming a credit for foreign taxes

If you are an individual taxpayer and you meet all of the requirements to claim a foreign tax credit, you can claim the credit directly on IRS Form 1040 if all of the following apply:

  • All your foreign taxes from mutual funds and other sources are not more than $300 ($600 if married filing jointly).
  • All your foreign income falls into the passive income category as defined by the IRS.
  • All your foreign taxes are reported on Form 1099-DIV, Form 1099-INT, Schedule K-1 or a substitute statement.

If one or more of these do not apply, you must complete the foreign income worksheet and the foreign qualified dividend income worksheet. The information from these worksheets should be reported on IRS Form 1116 (Form 1118 for corporations). Enter “RIC” as the name of foreign country or U.S. possession.

The foreign tax paid can be obtained from either the foreign tax paid amounts shown in the Year-to-date transaction history section of your year-end statement for all share classes you own (excluding share classes held in retirement or education savings accounts) or from Box 6 of Form 1099-DIV (individuals only).


To claim a foreign tax credit, corporations should complete IRS Form 1118 using the foreign income worksheet. Corporations do not need to complete the foreign qualified dividend income worksheet, because corporations are not eligible to receive qualified dividend income.

Passive income generally includes mutual fund income, dividends, interest, royalties, rents, annuities, gains from the sale of non-income-producing investment property, gains from commodities transactions and, generally, capital gains not related to the active conduct of a trade or business.

Investors should carefully consider investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. This and other important information is contained in the fund prospectuses, summary prospectuses and CollegeAmerica Program Description, which can be obtained from a financial professional and should be read carefully before investing. CollegeAmerica is distributed by American Funds Distributors® and sold through unaffiliated intermediaries.