As the country’s largest 529 plan,1 CollegeAmerica® is helping nearly 1 million families from all 50 states pursue their college savings goals.
Benefits of CollegeAmerica
CollegeAmerica has been among Morningstar's highly rated adviser-sold 529 college savings plans since 2004.2 Here are some additional reasons CollegeAmerica may be a smart choice for your family:
Experienced investment management
When it comes to managing critical assets, it’s important that you and your adviser select a time-tested manager like American Funds that has experience in all types of market conditions.
CollegeAmerica’s expenses are among the lowest in the 529 plan industry, according to a 2011 Morningstar study of 529 college savings plans.
Diverse investment options
With investment options including target date funds, objective-focused portfolios, and the individual American Funds, you and your financial adviser can design a college savings program to match your individual needs. Learn more about investment options.
- You won’t pay federal taxes on withdrawals if they’re used for qualified expenses. The same is true in almost every case for state taxes as well. Visit our FAQ section to learn more about qualified expenses.
- Some states allow a deduction from or credit against state taxes for all or part of your contributions.
- You can open an account for anyone with as little as $50 using an automatic monthly investment plan, or with a $250 start-up contribution.3 There are no income restrictions.
- You can continue investing until an account’s value reaches $350,000 for each beneficiary.
- A CollegeAmerica account stays in your name and you control the timing and amount of withdrawals.
- Change the account beneficiary as often as you like without worrying about taxes or penalties, as long as the new beneficiary and the former beneficiary are in the same family.
1 Largest by assets, according to the Q1 2012 529 College Savings Quarterly Data Update from Financial Research Corporation.
2 Based on annual Morningstar reports. Morningstar ratings are based on the following criteria: process, performance, price, people and parent.
3 The money market fund has a $1,000 minimum investment. All available funds have a $25 minimum if you participate in a CollegeAmerica employer-sponsored program.
* Requires Adobe® Reader®. For best results, we recommend using the latest version of Reader which you can download for free from Adobe’s website.
Depending on your state of residence, there may be an in-state plan that provides tax and other benefits not available through CollegeAmerica. Before investing in any state’s 529 plan, you should consult your tax adviser. If withdrawals are used for purposes other than higher education, the earnings will be subject to a 10% federal tax penalty in addition to federal and, if applicable, state income tax.