Advisor Website Home | Contact Us | Site Map | Help | Career Opportunities

Help with changing your name

To change your name, find your account type in the table below. Then follow the instructions to the right.

Account type Name change instructions



  • Traditional
  • Roth
  • Individual 403(b)

College Savings

  • 529 (owner’s name)
  • Coverdell (authorized person’s name)
  • UGMA/UTMA (custodian’s name)
  • Download and complete the Name Change Request Form.
    • If the cumulative value of your accounts is less than $125,000, please include a photocopy of a legal name document (i.e., a divorce decree, marriage certificate or legal name change certificate).
    • If the cumulative value of your accounts exceeds $125,000, please include a copy of a legal name document with original certification.

    Please note: If you would prefer not to provide a photocopy or certified copy of a legal name change document, you may have your former name and new name signature guaranteed in Section 3 of the Name Change Request form.

  • Mail the form and all supporting documents to the American Funds Service Company address in your region.

College Savings — Successor Owner

  • 529

Depending on your state of residence, there may be an in-state plan that provides tax and other benefits not available through CollegeAmerica. Before investing in any state’s 529 plan, you should consult your tax adviser.

Investors should carefully consider investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. This and other important information is contained in the fund prospectuses, summary prospectuses and CollegeAmerica Program Description, which can be obtained from a financial professional and should be read carefully before investing. CollegeAmerica is distributed by American Funds Distributors® and sold through unaffiliated intermediaries.