New process for incoming rollovers | American Funds


JULY 25, 2018

New process for incoming rollovers


The process to roll over assets to American Funds from an IRA or qualified account at another company has changed. The sending institution typically requires its own paperwork to complete the rollover. We encourage you to follow the steps below to streamline the process.

For a direct rollover:

1.    Contact the previous employer to determine what paperwork and actions are required to roll over the        balance to American Funds.

2.    Instruct the sending institution to mail us the check payable to:

                              Capital Bank and Trust Company
                              FBO + name of the account owner
                              American Funds account number

3.    Call us to provide investment instructions, or submit the Incoming Rollover Request form.

For an indirect rollover:

1.    Make a personal check for the amount of the rollover payable to:

                             Capital Bank and Trust Company
                              FBO + name of the account owner
                              American Funds account number

2.    Mail us the Incoming Rollover Request form and check.


Please note: To move assets from another IRA to an existing American Funds IRA as a non-reportable transfer of assets, use the Request for Transfer of Assets form.

Investments are not FDIC-insured, nor are they deposits of or guaranteed by a bank or any other entity, so they may lose value.

This material is intended for use by financial professionals or in conjunction with the advice of a financial professional.

Investors should carefully consider investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. This and other important information is contained in the fund prospectuses and summary prospectuses, which can be obtained from a financial professional and should be read carefully before investing.